Saturday, September 6, 2008

Full Mental Jacket #4: The Super Cops

I was tempted to open -- and actually read -- The Super Cops, billed as "the true story of the cops called Batman & Robin," on more than one occasion. However, I was fairly positive that no matter how much they tried to make the cover look like a comic book, it would probably be fairly straightforward 1970s cop stories, none of which were interesting enough to get made into a movie starring Jackie Chan. Also, I'm pretty sure that Robin never had such a spectacular mustache.
The book did its best, though, even going so far as to make the back cover a collage of photos of the "Super Cops" in action, climbing fire escapes and jumping from rooftops, in what looks like a sequence straight out of the Beastie Boys' music video for "Sabotage." However, the publishers underestimated how little love I actually have for the Beastie Boys, as un-American as that may sound. In fact, "Sabotage" is the only thing they've ever done that I really enjoy -- plus, my friends used to call my 1981 Cadillac "the Sabotagemobile" because it looked like it belonged in that video. If they really wanted to get me, they would have showed the Super Cops climbing Bat-ropes up the side of a fake building, possibly with Sammy Davis Jr. peeking out the window in disbelief.

2 comments:

Wal Goldstein said...

Wow what a find! That could possibly be the coolest thing that Ive seen all month ha! Zach, now I know you are a fan of C.O.P.S. the cartoon so imagine if you will, an amalgam of Super Cops and "cyber" C.O.P.S. By the way, I was not aware that your statur at Toyfare had become "former". Geez you and Chris Ward were my favorite Wizard/Toyfare staffers! First he went and now you?! Please tell me I am mistaken...

Zach Oat said...

It's true -- I'm an editor at Movies Without Pity now. But the mag is safe in Justin Aclin's soft, delicate hands. And yes, if this book had been called "Super C.O.P.S.", and the main characters had been blown up and put back together with robot parts, then I would definitely have read it.